Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Only the prologue...

“If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.” -C.S. Lewis

I was reading quotes by Mr. Lewis this morning and came across this one. It struck me because it is actually what I've been reading about in a book. I've always heard the saying that some people are so heavenly minded they are of no earthly use. I think I might have gone to the other extreme in my pusuits to be of earthly use. I find it hard to imagine myself a heaven. To realize there is more after this life. To remember that this life is only a prologue to the true book of life. I get so caught up in the here and now that I forget that my here and now effects my ever after. So many times in the Bible, more often than not in the New Testament, there is a drive to not focus on the consequences here but in Heaven. Yet, in this day, in this hour, I find it so hard to focus. To focus on my reward in Heaven. It seems so far away but then I realize, in this flash of brilliance that it really isn't that far away. When you stop to count up how many days you have left...they are not many. Perhaps that seems like a slightly gory and depressing thought for many but I have realized that it is actually a reality check for a Christian such as myself. So in my quest to discover myself and to live my life according to God's reality and not my own I am striving to remember that everything I do will effect my Heaven. This life is only the prologue and Heaven is the real story. Yet, I want my prologue to be a wonderful leading story!

No comments: