Friday, September 21, 2007

Country Idol?

Well, I just got back from a Pat Green concert. I must admit it was pretty amazing. The music, the atmosphere, the pure excitement that filled the air...it was great. Yet, despite feeling the buzz of anticipation I couldn't let go and just drop myself into the flow. I could feel myself wanting to. I wanted to just let go and do what I wanted, act how I wanted, forget it all. Oh how I wanted to...but I couldn't. It's amazing how Jesus can meet you where ever you are....even in a crowd of a hundred or more people drinking, dancing, and smoking. I saw people lift their hands in excitement of the song as if they were praising someone...or something. That's when it hit me... people are raising their hands to their idol. Wow. Of course it is all in "innocence" but how far can that go? I wanted so badly to just let myself flirt and forget everything I've been taught. But I didn't. I thought for a moment about how nice it would be to have the popularity and personality that would attract someone like Pat Green or his fiddle player.... I'm thinking this even while Pat is acting drunk and dumb. Then I realized that I wouldn't be fulfilling my reason for being....I would be a cop out. I'll admit I'll still continue listening to country...for now. Yet, I've realized that it CAN'T become my idol....the thing that I lift my hands to....or even for that matter the fame that can come with such a lifestyle. So, no lifting of hands except to the One who deserves it....the Prince of Peace, Emmanuel, and the King of Kings- Jesus Christ- my savior and Lord.

No comments: